Prepare for Your Trip: Health Insurance Tips for Travelling to the USA
By Krista DeKuyper | January 16, 2023 |
When travelling to the USA, health insurance should be a top priority. Health care can be expensive in the US, and health insurance is essential for protecting yourself from large medical bills. It is important to research health insurance coverage options tailored to your needs before embarking on your trip to prepare you for any health issues that may arise while abroad. This article will provide information on health insurance when travelling to the USA, common health issues encountered in the US and how health insurance can help protect you financially. Also, tips on choosing an appropriate plan and saving money with health insurance will be discussed.
Overview of Health Insurance Requirements When Entering the USA
When travelling to the USA, health insurance is an essential (but optional) requirement for entry. All non-U.S. citizens should provide health insurance coverage when entering the country. Foreign visitors may purchase health insurance from a U.S.-based health insurer or foreign health insurance that meets the requirements of the United States.
Benefits of Securing the Right Coverage
Health insurance should be at the top of your priority list when travelling to the United States. No matter how healthy and strong you think you are, health risks can strike when you least expect them. Securing health insurance will protect you from excessive medical bills in an emergency and can provide other benefits. Below, we have listed some of the key benefits of health insurance when travelling to the USA.
1. Coverage for health-related incidents – Regardless of your health condition, health insurance will provide you with coverage for health-related issues that may arise during your trip. This includes hospitalization costs, doctors’ visits, emergency transportation and repatriation in the event of severe health issues.
2. Coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation – If you’re abroad and require urgent health care, health insurance can cover the cost of transporting you to a hospital or clinic in your home country. This type of coverage is especially important if you are visiting a remote location in the USA with limited health care resources.
3. Coverage for health assessments – Health insurance will also provide you with coverage for health assessments and screenings that may be necessary during your travels. This can include blood tests, X-rays, ultrasounds and other health screenings.
Types of Health and Dental Insurance Available in the USA
If you’re a Canadian travelling to the USA, you’ll want to get travel medical insurance. This insurance will cover you for the things listed above plus more.
Two Most Popular Travel Health Insurance Plans
Allianz Global Assistant
Allianz travel insurance offers Canadians extensive yet affordable travel insurance coverage. In this plan, you get
- $250 deductible
- Emergency Medical (maximum coverage of $10,000,000)
- Emergency medical transportation
- Meals and accommodation
- Vehicle return
- Pet return
- 24/hour assistant
- Coverage for COVID-19 is not included.
To ensure Allianz travel eligibility, you must, as of the date you apply for coverage and the effective date:
- Be at least 15 days old and no more than 89 years old; and
- Be insured for benefits under a Canadian government health insurance plan during the entire period of coverage; and
- Not have been diagnosed with a terminal illness; or
- Not have been diagnosed with stage 3 or 4 cancer; or have received treatment for any cancer (other than basal or squamous cell cancer or breast cancer treated only with hormone therapy) in the last 3 months; or
- Not require assistance with activities of daily living as the result of a medical condition or state of health.
In addition, if you are age 60 or over, you are NOT eligible for coverage if, as of the date you apply for coverage and the effective date, you:
- Have been prescribed or used home oxygen for a lung / respiratory condition during the previous 12 months; or
- Had your most recent heart surgery more than 12 years ago or less than 6 months ago; or
- Have a diagnosed unrepaired aneurysm of 4 centimetres or greater, measured in either length or diameter; or
- Have received or are awaiting a bone marrow or major organ transplant; or
- Have been diagnosed with or received treatment for a kidney disease requiring dialysis; or
- Have ever been diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder; or
- Have ever been diagnosed with congestive heart failure.
Please click here for instant Allianz travel insurance quotes!
Manulife Travel Insurance
Manulife Financial offers Canadians comprehensive, affordable travel insurance coverage. With this plan, you get
Single-trip or multi-trip coverage that can help cover emergency medical expenses (up to $10 million) for:
- $0 deductible
- Physician services
- Ambulance transportation
- Prescription drugs and more
- Emergency medical coverage for COVID-19 is included for those who are double-vaccinated.
- 24/hour service
Coverage IS NOT available under this policy to any person who:
- Is travelling against the advice of a doctor.
- Is diagnosed with metastatic cancer or a terminal illness.
- Requires kidney dialysis.
- Has been prescribed or used home oxygen in the last twelve (12) months.
- Has had a bone marrow, stem cell or organ transplant (excluding corneal transplant).
Please click here for instant Manulife travel insurance quotes!
Travel health insurance is an essential component of any trip to the USA. It’s important to know what type of health and dental coverage you need and how much it will cost. Allianz Global Assistance and Manulife Financial are two popular travel health insurance plans in Canada that offer comprehensive yet affordable coverage for Canadians travelling to the US. Both plans provide emergency medical coverage up to $10 million with no deductible, 24/hour service, meal accommodations and more.
When choosing a plan tailored to your needs, consider your destination & duration along with budget & coverage needs so you can make informed decisions about which policy best fits your situation. With these tips on health insurance requirements when entering the USA, you’ll be ready for whatever may come your way during your travels!
If you want to compare travel insurance for your next trip to the USA, use our instant quoting tool! With no sales pressure, you can freely look at the carriers and plans that fit your needs.