Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan Summary
The Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan (YHCIP) is available to all permanent Yukon residents.
The following summarizes Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan coverage and benefits.Affordable Health & Dental Plans
We offer health plans that:
- Have no medical questions.
- Are guaranteed acceptance.
- Come with instant, online quotes.
Health and dental coverage starting from $82.20 per month!
Yukon Health Care Plan: Health Benefits
- Medically required hospital, physician and medical specialist services.
- For hospital services to be covered the hospital must be publicly funded.
- Physician services performed at the patient’s home, a hospital, clinic or scene of an accident.
- Physician services during pregnancy.
- Some surgical dental procedures when performed in an approved hospital.
- Ambulance transportation (air and ground) within the Yukon (there are no fees).
- The following programs are also offered:
- Children’s Dental Program: dental services provided to children. Covers newborns up to kids in either Grade 8 or Grade 12, depending on where they live.
- Children’s Drug and Optical Program: assistance with prescription drug and eye care costs for children aged 18 and under of low-income families.
- Chronic Disease and Disability Benefits Program: financial assistance for residents with a chronic disease or serious functional disability. Coverage for prescription drugs, medical supplies and durable medical equipment.
- Pharmacare and Extended Health Benefits: available to residents aged 65 and up, or to residents aged 60 and up who are married to a resident aged 65 and up. Financial assistance for prescription drugs, dental care, vision care and medical supplies (including durable medical equipment).
- Hearing Services: coverage for examinations, hearing aid dispensing and repairs, assistive listening devices, etc. to Yukon residents (adults, children and infants).
- Medical Treatment Travel (trip must start in Yukon): coverage for transportation costs if a resident needs to travel for medically necessary treatment to the nearest qualified facility.
Physician services that are not covered include:
- Optometrists and vision care such as eyeglasses.
- Durable medical appliances (e.g. walkers, braces, etc.) unless resident is 16 or younger.
- Most medical expenses when traveling outside of the Yukon. There may be exceptions, such as students who are studying outside of the province (prior approval is required).
- Chiropractors, podiatrists, osteopaths and orthodontists.
- Medical examinations required by third parties.
- All cosmetic surgeries.
- All dental surgery that is not done in a hospital.
- Prescription drugs not for use in a hospital.
- Ambulance transport when traveling outside of the Yukon.
- Private medical facility goods or services (e.g. private MRI’s).
- Medical advice provided over the telephone.
- Creation of reports, records or certificates by a physician.
– if you are a Yukon resident traveling abroad please consider travel insurance –
YUKON HEALTH CARE PLAN: Hospital Benefits:
Hospital services are provided to Yukon residents via the Hospital Insurance Services Plan.
Covered hospital services include the following:
- Accommodation and meals at standard ward rates (difference in cost for semi-private and private rooms not covered).
- Necessary nursing services and necessary services provided by other hospital staff.
- Diagnostic procedures, including x-rays and lab services.
- Radiotherapy and physiotherapy services where available.
- Some outpatient services.
- Prescription drugs when administered in a hospital.
Hospital services that are not covered include:
- Nursing home services.
- Private and semi-private rooms.
- Medical appliances such as crutches.
- Dental procedures, unless prior approval has been obtained AND in cases where it must be done in a hospital.
- Prescription drugs for use outside of the hospital.
– for full details please see the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan web page –
Protect yourself from costs not covered by your Yukon provincial healthcare plan. Get free, instant health insurance quotes!
(please consider sharing this article)
Last updated March 2018